Tuesday 13 December 2016

"Grossly Obscene and Primarily Erotic!" Swedish Sex Education in 1970s Britain



Last weekend I gave a paper on the censorship and legal problems around two Swedish sex education films which were released here in the mid-1970s. I came across this story as it involved Jacey cinemas and the Fancey family, both of whom I had been researching.

The paper was part of the Sex and the Cinema conference at the University of Kent. It was an excellent conference and I met some interesting people. I also had very positive feedback, which is always nice. It's also reassuring to see other people's papers and realise that the areas in which I'm researching are also of interest to other academics, and that I'm not misjudging this whole thing.

You can read the paper on my Academia.edu profile here.


4 comments:

  1. Just finished reading the paper.
    I knew something of Raymond Blackburn's crusade from the trade press of the day, but there's some fascinating additional research here.
    The details of the two police officers visiting the Jacey, Charing Cross Road are revealing, and the admission from Dr. Linklater about his oral sex fantasy is simply jaw-dropping!
    Great work Adrian!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have enjoyed doing this research. There's a lot more material that I will be writing into my thesis that I found fit into this paper. What was your involvement in the industry back then? I'm assuming you were given you were reading the trade press.

      Delete
  2. No involvement, I'm afraid.
    Just a fan of British cinema history who's amassed a collection over the years.

    ReplyDelete