Monday 1 July 2013

Second Supervisor and more

I've just had a Skype call with my supervisor and found out I have a new second supervisor. Originally it was going to be cult film-provoceteur Dr Xavier Mendick, but he jumped off to Brighton University, taking Cine Excess with him (and who can blame him?). So I've spent my first year working solely with Dr Leon Hunt, who I first discovered through his book British Low Culture: From Safari Suits to Sexploitation, a fun read that I highly recommend.

Anyway, my new supervisor is to be Professor Julian Petley, who is a leading academic in the area of media regulation and censorship, and I'm feeling just a little intimidated. And really pleased. I need all the help that I can get, as I still don't really consider myself as academic.

The news so far is that I still haven't finished my first chapter, but am committed to handing it in by the 21st of July, and then writing another chapter over the summer. I also need to try and interview Tony Klinger, son of Compton uber-producer Michael Klinger, and John Henderson, who worked for Compton in their international sales department. The latter lives in Paris, so I sense a trip in the near future.


No comments:

Post a Comment