Thursday 26 April 2018

The Letter 'X'






I recently gave a paper at the Researching Past Cinema Audiences conference at Aberystwyth. This gave me an opportunity to use some material on The Yellow Teddybears which I had originally included in my thesis but had to cut out when I realized it was no longer relevant. I have uploaded my paper to Academia.edu if you would like to take a look.

I was also interviewed for the American public radio podcast The World in Words, which comes out of Boston. The presenter, Patrick Cox, is a reporter for the BBC World Service, but I don't think this podcast is BBC-affiliated. Either way, it's rather good. They were looking at the use of the letter X in popular culture, so naturally I was there to talk about the history of the 'X' certificate. I did my best not to disgrace myself, but I'll be happy to take feedback if I got anything wrong. It was fun to be interviewed as a film historian again, and I hope to get the opportunity again!

Recently I have managed to bag myself two more blu ray booklet-writing jobs. One is for an Italian film, the other a British film, so I'm enjoying the distraction of thinking about what I'm going to write for either of them when I am supposed to be marking a pile of essays. My favourite essay so far told me that the presenters of Queer Eye are "geologists" who have "supernatural powers." Somebody needs to pitch that show to Netflix.

No comments:

Post a Comment